Monday, 7 January 2008

How To Write A Blog

The introduction went well and was well received. This excites me a little as it means that I am around 2% through the “blog my life for a year” New Year’s Resolution. From that value you can work out that I aim to post around a blogs a week if I can. For the first few months I don’t think this will be a problem since I will have an awful lot to talk about, so with my fingers metaphorically crossed (physically crossed would make typing more difficult) I storm on towards 4%!

Previous experience with blogging has taught me various lessons. The main one was not to write a post just because there was space to be filled. If the blog isn’t interesting I will lose readers quicker than if I have a few weeks break because nothing happened. Fortunately I am quite sure that the plans I have in terms of job, house, nationality, friends and activities guarantee me tonnes to write about even if only to compare the differences between lifestyles in Canada and in England.

I have decided to try a more generic blog post each time I write and as of now each title will begin “How to…”; with the post’s aim being to educate (even if only a little) each person that reads the blog on a new topic each few days. These could end up being useful for moving house, travel, lodging, trivial pursuit or absolutely nothing at all.

I will aim to write (mission statement enthusiasts listen up) an interesting post at least once a week depending on how much I have to say and within how much time I have to type it out. My prediction is around 60 posts documenting my new life in Vancouver throughout the year and I hope that you enjoy reading them as much as I will enjoy writing them.

I am going to cap myself at about 800 words a post because I don’t want to overly bore people. I look forward to improving my writing style throughout the year, with a better command of the English language allowing me to write more concisely. Eventually I will know for sure if writing is for me and this will help me decide for or against a career in travel writing.

Currently I am considering what my next post will say as I type so that I don’t say too much in this one, but also don’t completely ignore the obvious issues bouncing around my head regarding my impending trip and lifestyle change. If each thought was written down on a brick, there’d be enough to build a bridge to Vancouver and I’d have saved the £300 airfare!

Anyone who has ever solo-travelled will know that things seem a lot more scary alone and worries become magnified if there is no one around to talk to. Examples of this include falling asleep in an airport from sheer exhaustion, a missed bus screwing up your schedule, accidentally booking the wrong hotel, having nowhere left to stay, being approached by shady characters in bad areas and losing key items! Of course there are hundreds of other things but they (thankfully) haven't happened to me yet!

I am extremely fortunate in all of this in that I won’t be as alone as I keep thinking. Not only do my "new family" (not officially my family but it is an easy way to reference them) seem really nice but I also have relatives in the same neighbourhood (Uncle, Aunt and 2 similarly aged cousins) and a job lined up with no VISA issues because of my dual citizenship! In all I am worrying a lot more than I should be, but then maybe it isn’t where I am going to, but who and where I am leaving behind.

I am going to be away from my family as well as every friend I’ve ever made in Britain and the familiar surroundings which I have grown up around. Cultural changes such as sports, education, politics, music, driving and food will also be a big change despite both nations being "Western" countries.

Within the next few weeks I also hope to complete challenges such as being able to name every Canadian province/territory, learning the national anthem and visiting places of interest. I also plan to take up a variety of outdoor pursuits and sports helping me to get fitter and stronger.

Tomorrow I will start my packing (and the painful decisions of what to take and what to leave behind). I hope you enjoyed reading this post and are looking forward to more of the same as much as I am. I have decided on one more pre-flight blog post which will appear in the next few days…

4 comments:

Alex Whyte said...

Try not to lose your bag Chris. We all know that you had a habit of misplacing it over the last four or five years. Although from what I've heard it's not been such a problem since you left Marlwood. Strange.

Luke Lichtenstein said...

Speedy, more important than learning the words to the Canadian national anthem would be learning the words to their "unofficial" national anthem - made famous by the South Park movie, Blame Canada! Eh?

Ian Madle said...

Good luck Speedy!
Looking forward to reading all about your adventure :)

Katherine Hirst said...

Good luck hun, maybe when i'm over in Boston I'll make it to Vancouver. However, considering it is still an awful long way, that seems unlikely really...
I hope you get there safely! xx

Post a Comment