Sunday, 30 March 2008

How To Make A "Bucket List"

In early 2008 Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman starred in a film about two terminally ill people who meet in hospital and create a "Bucket List" - a list of things to do before you die. The two then jet off around the world, trying to do everything that they had always dreamed of, before they die.

For me a "Bucket List" (the name derived from the phrase "kick the bucket") is less about doing things with the impending fear of death looming over me and more about setting goals and having aims in my life. I'm likely to complete this list, or the majority of it, by the time I am 30 but I will then have the next 50 or so years to remember those experiences and build on them.

If you don't agree 100% with my list, that's great! Life would be boring if we all shared goals and this is my list. Create a list for yourself and see how we compare. No need to go to 100 either - that was just my number obsession!

Failure to complete the list will not be devastating (technically I'll be dead so I won't care!) but the more I can complete, the better! My list contains 100 (so that I can easily calculate percentage of completion!) things to do and see, and it very much about travel and learning.

Travel is a large part of the list because I would rather see things in person than through a lens or screen. To say that I had climbed a mountain is infinitely more impressive than saying I had seen it. I also enjoy telling stories but you have to experience new things to tell interesting stories.

My favourite item on the list is #100 "Make a film of my "Bucket List" footage" because I want to have a video (with most of my life's achievements) shown at my funeral, created and edited by me. I already have a few songs that I want to be on the video!

For those of you who are interested, my Bucket List is to:
  • Backpack on every continent
  • Graduate University with pride
  • Be in love with a beautiful woman
  • Write a book about travelling
  • Write and direct a short film
  • Canoe along part of the Amazon river
  • Learn to speak fluent French
  • Attend a FIFA World Cup game
  • Bungee jump into the Grand Canyon
  • Ride a camel through the desert
  • Learn to play the acoustic guitar
  • See the pyramids in Egypt
  • Learn basic sign language
  • Ride on an elephant in Asia
  • Work as a volunteer at the Olympics
  • Swim with dolphins in the sea
  • Fly with the sunset for hours
  • Sleep under the stars on a beach
  • Learn to speak basic Spanish
  • Go to Vegas with a set budget
  • See the Great Wall of China
  • Hike to Base Camp, Mt. Everest
  • Take a short writing course
  • Jump out of a plane and parachute
  • Teach English in a foreign country
  • Dance from dusk until dawn
  • Cover a rucksack with visited countries' flags
  • Work as a fruit picker in Australia
  • See the Aztec and Mayan ruins
  • Go on an Arctic dogsled expedition
  • Have many stories for my Grandchildren
  • See orang utans in Borneo
  • Visit the Taj Mahal in India
  • Climb Machu Picchu in Peru
  • Travel from the UK to Japan, without flying
  • See an African tribal dance
  • Run in a marathon
  • Stay awake for three days straight
  • Send a message in a bottle
  • Watch the New Zealand rugby team do the "Haka"
  • Kiss a girl on top of the Eiffel Tower
  • Hike across an Alpine glacier
  • See the Ancient Greek ruins
  • Go on a safari in Kenya
  • Work and board in a Parisian library
  • Be at a "Full Moon Party" in Thailand
  • See Niagara Falls from the "Maid of the Mist"
  • Attend a large music festival
  • Spend a day fishing and eat the catch
  • Be an extra in a short film or movie
  • Get an International Driving License
  • Volunteer in a developing country
  • Work on an American summer camp
  • Take a road trip in a VW camper van
  • Visit New York, NY in both summer and winter
  • Climb to the top of an active volcano
  • Scuba dive around a coral reef
  • Cycle across Canada, East to West
  • Learn to juggle with three objects
  • Kayak to a remote island and wild camp
  • Visit 15 North American National Parks
  • Sunbathe on a nudist beach
  • Jump into water from more than 20ft
  • Be able to snowboard and ski well
  • See a Brazilian Carnival in Rio de Janeiro
  • See both a lunar and a solar eclipse
  • Roll in the snow after a sauna in Sweden
  • Attend a séance with a ouija board
  • Swim across the English Channel (21 miles)
  • Learn basic Mandarin Chinese
  • Memorise a piece of poetry to recite
  • Take a month-long Caribbean cruise
  • Celebrate St Patrick's Day in Ireland
  • Learn 4 skateboarding tricks
  • Spend a night in a haunted house
  • Attend an NFL, NBA, MLS and MLB game
  • Visit the Sistine Chapel in Rome
  • Hold my breath for three minutes
  • Skinny dip in a lake in the moonlight
  • Make a banana skin iPod case
  • Political tour in UK, USA and Canada
  • Drink beer in Munich during Oktoberfest
  • Write a meaningful poem or song
  • Play "Hide and Seek" on a rooftop
  • Learn to surf on the West Coast
  • Fly in helicopter, hot air balloon & seaplane
  • Motorcycle road trip with no set destination
  • Watch a tribe hunt with basic weapons
  • Parkour through a city at rush hour
  • See the Burning Man in Nevada
  • Visit Jerusalem and Istanbul on one trip
  • Write my autobiography online anonymously
  • Own 2 valid passports at the same time
  • See Sigur Ros in concert
  • Play Monopoly with real money
  • Make a film of my "Bucket List" footage
  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment